- 2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce
- ½ tsp Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil
- Prepare your raw ingredients: cut the beef* into bite-size slices, trim the ends of the asparagus, slice the garlic and pepper, dice the onion, prepare pepper.
- Marinate beef and set aside for 15mins.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water with rice vinegar for 2 mins, rinse under cold water and drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok to medium high heat, add garlic, onion, red pepper, stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add beef. If it starts to stick to the bottom of the wok, add water.
- Add in asparagus and XO sauce and continue to stir-fry until the beef is done.
- Serve with steamed rice, enjoy!
*CUT THE BEEF AGAINST THE GRAIN!
All meat has grain to it - it is the direction of major muscle fibre. Cutting meat in specific ways has great impact on the tenderness. Cut beef against the grain as it shortens the muscle fibre and effectively softens the meat. Avoid cutting in the same direction with the grain - that leaves beef pieces hard and ropy. You can also ‘massage’ the beef pieces to tenderise it even further!
Log into Teaching Materials to see the complete Lesson Plan with additional info on ingredients, nutrition, cooking steps and Chinese sauces!