300g Cucumber, cubed
150g Cherry tomatoes, sectioned
1/2 Red onion, finely sliced (optional)
150g Rocket salad leaves
5 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Oriental Sesame Dressing
Spicy Plum Dressing
2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Plum Sauce
1 tsp Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chilli Oil
- Prepare all the vegetables and mix your dressing in a bowl.
- Toss all the ingredients together with the dressing and serve.
* SKILL UP - Make Chinese Style Smacked Cucumber!
Smacking the cucumber prior to cutting helps to soften the flesh and helps the cucumber to absorb the sauce and its flavours better - see the video here!
- On the chopping board, lay the cucumber and smack it hard a few times with a rolling-pin(or the flat blade of a Chinese cleaver, but only if you’re an advanced user!).
- Then cut the cucumber length-wise into four pieces. Then, hold your knife at an angle to the chopping board and cut the cucumber on the diagonal into chunks.
- Place the pieces in a bowl with some salt, mix well and allow it to set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, drain the cucumber, mix with other salad ingredients, pour over the sauce, toss well and serve immediately.
Log into Teaching Materials to see the complete Lesson Plan with additional info on ingredients, nutrition, cooking steps and Chinese sauces.